For the year 2020, IAPS is offering a travel grant to support members who wish to attend iaps2CERN! This is a one-time grant, open to anyone who registers for the event. The grant is offered to assist members living far from Geneva, whose travel expenses might otherwise prevent them from participating. If you’ve always wanted to visit CERN but didn’t have the means, we encourage you to apply now!
To apply for the 2020 Travel Grant, you must submit a motivation letter and a travel budget during your registration for the event (register here!). You must register before the deadline, February 23rd, 2020.
Your motivation letter should outline why you want to come to iaps2CERN 2020. You can base it on your academic experience, past attendance (or not) of IAPS events, your interest in particle physics or nuclear research, your aims for your career… Whatever your motivation is to visit CERN! Please keep it to one page in length.
Your travel budget does not need to be final, but it should outline what it will cost you in total to travel from your country to Geneva and back. Don’t include any expenses other than transportation.
- The maximum sum that can be paid is €450. The EC may select additional runners-up if the winner does not require this amount, but does not have to.
- The IAPS Executive Committee will select a winner of the iaps2CERN 2020 Travel Grant, and potentially runners-up, based on the submitted motivation letter, travel budget, and the country of origin of each applicant.
- The grant will be paid to cover transportation expenses, including flights, trains, buses etc., reasonably incurred in getting to Geneva for the dates of the event and then back home. Transportation during the event (to CERN and around Geneva) is covered under the participation fee when necessary.
- The grant does not cover the IAPS membership fee, food and living expenses during the event, the event participation fee of €130, or any other expenses incurred during the trip.
- To recieve the money the winner, and runners-up if any, must attend the entire event (excluding the optional UN visit) and must then submit reimbursement documentation, including receipts, to IAPS. The grant will be paid after the event.
- IAPS reserves the right to withhold or withdraw part or all of the grant in the case of any fraud, intentional falsification, breach of the IAPS Code of Conduct or the event Terms and Conditions, or criminal activity on the part of the winner, or runners-up if any, during the application, the event or the reimbursement process.
- The decision of the IAPS Executive Committee shall be final.